Wednesday, July 14, 2010

the grass is always greener

With all the snow we got in Arlington this year, I spent a lot of time anxiously awaiting the arrival of summer. And boy did I get it! Skipping right over spring, we dove head first into the swampy heatwaves of a Virginia summer. I walked a couple of blocks at lunch today and by the time I got my sandwich, my hair was all stuck to my face and neck.

If we get a true spring next summer, I'm going to make it a point to spend more time sitting near the Cherry Blossoms. Even with our barely-there springtime, the famous Cherry trees still managed to show their beautiful blossoms. As a local Arlingtonian, I followed Bloom Watch and listened loyally when it told me to enjoy the peak day for cherry blossoms. The best part about the peak day this year was that it was in the middle of the week, which means a lot fewer sight-seers. What better excuse to sneak out of work early?











I'm not sure if this last picture is a cherry tree or not... it looks a lot more pink than the others. You can find these extra-pink trees out on Hain's Point. Hain's Point is also a great place to seek out a parking spot, since it's off the beaten-path of most tourists.

No comments:

Post a Comment